The Alexander Technique is a set of skills that helps improve our performance with less stress and tension. It’s a natural complement to swimming. By applying the AT to swimming, students have been able to overcome fear, stroke with greater efficiency, and breathe easily. That’s why I am offering a special – you guessed it – Surf & Turf package that combines the two.
The Alexander Technique helps to:
- Improve the body’s coordination, from as “simple” a movement as sitting, to swimming the front crawl.
- Improve posture and natural muscle strength.
- Dramatically increase our self-awareness so that we know (and can change) when we are over-tensing or moving unnaturally.
- Improves flexibility, cardiovascular fitness, and muscle tone while being gentle on the joints.
- Reduces stress and its effects on the body.
- Allows the spine and joints to decompress in the water.
In short, the AT helps you swim with greater efficiency, less injury and, in my experience, more joy in the water. Swimming has always been my favorite setting to explore the AT, where small changes in our thinking have large effects on our movement.
The common problems that swimmers run into are well addressed through the Technique:
- Fear of water
- Breathing is difficult
- Overuse injuries in the shoulders, neck, and other joints (often these are former injuries that become exacerbated through repetitive exercise)
So I’d like to offer a special, forgive the name, Surf & Turf package for students who wish to develop a satisfying and sustainable swim routine in 2015, or would like to improve their overall health and well-being through the AT. The package is as follows:
Five 45 minute lessons in the Alexander Technique & Five 45 minute lessons in the pool with a 15% discount.
If you’ve been curious about either one of these disciplines, or you know a friend or family member who could benefit, please do give it a try. If you decide it’s not the right approach for you after a lesson, there is no obligation to continue. I do hope you or someone you know will take the plunge in 2015! Please contact me to sign up.